Thursday, October 25, 2012

Insert key on Mac OSX / Microsoft Word 2011

Today after few years suddenly I felt the need for the insert key on Mac, that generic keyboards have. I was filling a Microsoft Word form and the common use case was to delete all underscores and replace them with the contents requested. My first instinct was to find and replace but that would create a new mess of reformatting few pages. Hence I went in seek of my good old friend - The insert key.

On Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac OSX, there are 2 options. I chose the latter.

Add overtype option to the toolbar:
1. Go to 'View' > 'Toolbars' > 'Customize Toolbars and Menus...'
2. In the dialog window, select the 'Commands' tab.
3. Choose 'All Commands' from Categories, 
4. Drag and drop 'Overtype' to the toolbar, after selecting it from Commands.

Add overtype keyboard shortcut:

1. Go to 'View' > 'Toolbars' > 'Customize Toolbars and Menus...'
2. Click the 'keyboard...' button and customize keyboard dialog window opens.
3. Choose 'All Commands' from Categories, 
4. Choose 'Overtype' from Commands,
5. Place your cursor in textbox that reads 'Press new keyboard shortcut'.
NOTE: I found that combination of Command key + (keys from 7 to 9) were not assigned to any command. So, I chose 'Command' + '7'.
6. Don't forget to press the 'Assign' button. 

That is all! You may also go to 'Preferences' - 'Edit' - 'Overtype mode'. But I found that option more annoying and less useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips to save battery power on your Smartphone

We hate to see how our devices loose power. Here's few tips to save your battery power and usage cost: Turn off Mobile data (when u...